Last Updated on
Going fishing is one of the great pleasures in life, there’s something about being outdoors and having that close connection to nature that can improve your mood and force you to take time away from an otherwise busy life.
However, it’s important to go fishing legally, which means making sure you have the appropriate fishing licenses required.
Walmart is one of the biggest retailers across the US, so it’s convenient for much of the population.
This brings us to the question, can you buy a fishing license from Walmart? Yes, you can buy a perfectly legal fishing license from any US-based Walmart. In fact, Walmart is one of the country’s biggest sellers of fishing licenses. Expect to pay between $11 and $40, depending on the state, your age, and how long the license will be valid for.
To acquire your license, just head on over to the sports & outdoors section and speak with an employee, explaining that you’d like to buy a fishing license. To make the process as seamless as possible, it’s good to have some information ahead of time:
- What kind of water will you be fishing in? Freshwater or saltwater? A river, lake, pond or ocean?
- How long will you need your license for? Yearly, Monthly or Daily licenses are available.
- How many people are going fish and how old are they? Prices vary depending on age, for example, kids are cheaper.
If you’d like to get a holder for your new fishing license, you can get them here.
The terms and conditions and other formalities that are required to be completed will be explained in detail. The reasons to buy a license, the process and the advantages of the fishing license would guide the reader better to take the decision.
Fishing is often a sport that needs prior permission from the state to fish.
Wal-Mart works as an authorized organization that has the right to issue fishing licenses on behalf of the government.
Walmart follows the same steps as the department asks it to do. Therefore, understanding that Walmart can issue you a fishing license is absolutely correct. And if you are someone who enjoys fishing a lot or does so for the sake of living, then it becomes of paramount importance to get a fishing license before setting your hands on a fishing rod.
Walmart Fishing License Why and How?
As we’ve already established, you can buy a fishing license from Walmart from any of the stores across the US. But why should you?
Being the world’s largest retail chain, purchasing a fishing license from Walmart can be an easy hassle-free process.
Also, it is of utmost importance to have a fishing license to go fishing in the state. A person found fishing without the fishing license is liable to be punished under the law of the state. In order to stay away from the purview of the penal provisions of the fisheries act, it is necessary for every fisherman to do fishing only after having a valid fishing license in the state.
Another beneficial aspect is that Walmart has a special team that entertains newcomers and briefs them about the whole mechanism free. They are a friendly team of advisers that would guide a person according to one’s needs and recommend the best course of action.
Not only this, the team briefs about the possible outcomes of the license, its renewal and customized experience that a person is seeking to get. It is not just available for the professional fishermen, but also for the layman and the enthusiasts who want to fish in the fresh waters of the state to start with.
How to buy a license?
Obtaining a fishing license is a matter that would come under the department of fishing off a state. Therefore, it can vary from one state to another. Various retailers can have an agreement with the state fisheries authorities through which they can issue licenses to the clients but that also is again subjected to the rules and regulations of the state fishery department.
Wal-Mart has agreements with the states and hence is an eligible institution to issue licenses on behalf of the government.
The provision of a license is subject to the condition that the person wanting the license to be issued produces some sort of identification and address proof before the authorities.
The Walmart staff can assist the person with the process, but only when the identification has been established. The license would cost the same as it would cost the person anywhere else in the state and the person would be asked to fill certain forms complying with the conditions, and payment of the fee would then be made.
It is only after that that the license would be issued to the person after a stipulated period of time.
Things To Keep In Mind:
- It is compulsory for each and every member that is going to go fishing to have a license. No member not having a fishing license is allowed to fish in the country.
- There are several options available where fishing can be done. Fishing license fee varies according to the place the person goes for fishing. It can be rivers, dams, oceans or anywhere else. The places that are not defined are considered to be the most expensive ones for the grant of the fishing license.
- There are no tests that are undertaken by Wal-Mart when it issues a fishing license but a booklet containing the various do’s and don’ts to be followed while fishing should be read in detail. It is necessary to ensure that the area where the person goes shipping is allowed for fishing.
- It is necessary to ensure that no pollution is done due to littering and urinating in the pond, lake or river or wherever the person is fishing as this can disturb the marine life and could have repercussions on the habitat living there.
- It is necessary to ensure safety norms while going over for fishing. In areas like oceans, the level of danger is quite high and taking along your family would mean greater responsibility. Staying attentive and alert is the only safe move a person can make.
- Fishing in dangerous circumstances is strictly prohibited. Look for the weather forecast before setting out for fishing as this could put your life in danger.
- Getting a license to fish does not mean that the person gets the right over the marine life. Fishing in prohibited areas or of endangered species could attract penal provisions that are equally supported by Walmart and this could lead to a lifetime cancellation of the fishing license.
- Fishing could also cause injuries. While it could be an altogether enriching experience for you and your son, daughter, spouse, friend or relative, it is equally important to carry a first aid box and knowing the initial steps to follow in case of any serious mishap like falling in the lake and having to get the person out when one does not swim, giving life support etc.
A number of points should be kept in mind for the fishing and getting a fishing license, but what is even more important is to understand that all these steps and guidelines are made for the benefit of the person himself/herself. Therefore, it becomes important to respect the spirit of the law and those of the love for fishing to ensure happy and safe fishing without casualties.
You might want to have a look at what can happen if you get caught without a fishing license.
Can You Expect Any Issues
The procedure usually requires the person to choose between the following categories:
- A 24 hours fishing permit
- A 5-day fishing permit
- An annual fishing permit
- In some states, it is provided in the law that some people who suffer from some of the other types of disability can fish in the country’s waters and children falling under the age of 16 can also fish provided they are accompanied by a parent or a guardian. The safety of the fisher is also of prime importance.
How Much Does Will It Cost?
Let us have a look at the average price chart that the fishing license could cost a person depending upon the category one falls in. These are just the estimates and the real prices can vary from state to state.
- For individual residents between age 16 to 65 – $19.
- For individual residents between age 66 and above- $10
- A one-day fishing license for both resident and non-resident – $11
- Non-resident fishing license for a year- $40
- Three-day tourist fishing license – $19
- In case the issuer of the license loses the license due to destruction, stealth or losing can get a duplicate license issued – $4.
In the case of a one-day license, it is written that the license can be used for the credit at the time of issuance of a yearly license.
Is It Cheaper To Get A Fishing & Hunting License At The Same Time?
Yes, this is a genuine query and the law provides for the same in the USA. When a person wants to purchase a license of fishing as well as hunting, then the costs written above is subject to some changes. The license cost would then change and the person getting it would benefit as the license cost would then decrease for him/her at an overall view of getting them separately from the license department.
Many people question that the cost is higher than getting a normal fishing license. What needs to be understood here is that those who want to hunt down animals and fish at the same time, for those candidates it is beneficial to get both the license at the same time as this means less cost to them. But if the person just wants to fish, then the regular cost that has been listed above would be best.
Renewal Costs and Procedure
It is equally important to get the license renewed at proper intervals of time. In the USA it is a general practice that the license gets expired every 31 December and it becomes incumbent upon the person to get it renewed.
If a person fails to get the license renewed within the specified limit, then the law operates. This means an attraction of a fine as well as several days of custody in jail. It can be a serious offense in the state if the person fishes without the prior permission of the government. The state laws are quite strict in this regard.
For those who get the license for the sake of a day or two or for tourist purposes, they need not get it renewed. They expire within the time specified and then new license gets issued to an individual resident or non-resident, as the case may be.
Where can I buy a fishing license near me?
Nearly everyone has a Walmart close to where they live which makes buying a fishing license in person relatively easy.
Alternatively, you can also buy fishing licenses online which means that anyone that’s reading this should be able to buy a license without even leaving the house.
Which States Offer Fishing Licenses from Walmart
Currently, the following states will allow you to buy a fishing license from Walmart:
Fishing could be the next thing a person can do when it is summer and there is nothing else to do on holidays. A weekend getaway to a nearby lake or a river and plan of a barbeque at night would best complement fishing in the daytime and then savoring the fishes at night.
Not only during weekends, but also on summer vacation can a person get out of the territory of the country to go spend some time in the woods or near an ocean and river to get a different touch of nature. A refreshing experience that makes a person feel completely refreshed is fishing. Fishing in the lap of nature sitting quietly looking at the beauty near you and the waters could make anyone fall in love with nature. It also makes the person feel refreshing.
Yet there can be an altogether different view of fishing fish. Those who want to spend their lifetime earning a living by fishing and then selling it in the stores nearby need it for an altogether professional reason. Issuance of a fishing license and its renewal at proper intervals is necessary for a fisherman by profession then. Walmart ensures that such fisherman gets its license issued as soon as possible.
Walmart has a complete dedicated team for this purpose. It keeps experts and trained officials that allow the person who needs help with the basics of knowing what are the documents required to get a license, the documents to be filled in with assistance. It takes care of the newcomers as well as those who are coming to renew their licenses.